Monday, February 7, 2011

Review : Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HDD

Okay, for a long time I was debating between the Western Digital and the Seagate 1TB HDD. After a long set of research and thinking I bought the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HDD. I'm glad I bought it and I'll tell you why.

All of my past hard drives have been Seagate ones, so this is also one reason that I bought Seagate. My search came to an end when I saw an article on Tom's Hardware. The Seagate HDD scored a max transfer rate of  100MB/s + which was amazing, competing with the Samsung. The noise level on this HDD was quite low too (considered for a normal HDD). I can barely hear the noise of the HDD over my fans, considered they are quiet fans.

As soon as I got my HDD, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on it, loaded up my applications, installed my games and noted the boot time. My old 160 gig Seagate used to take about roughly 3 minutes to boot up with all the applications loaded. The Seagate amazed me, cutting the boot time by almost a minute ! What a speed ! (For a HDD). And also, applications like Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer loaded quicker than my previous HDD.

Here is a screenshot of the 1TB HDD vs the 160 gig in HD Tune -



Although the minimum dipped to a slow 2.4MB/s, the average speed was fabulous !
Also, the temperatures were a bit cool on the 1TB. (Room temp - 30C) It was somewhat hot due to a small, weak 80mm fan blowing air towards it.

It's been two months now, and I haven't encountered any problems yet !

Final Verdict - This HDD is, I consider, to be one of the fastest and cheapest 1TB I have bought.(70$ or Rs. 2800) A great HDD if you are on a low budget, and also if not ! Doesn't matter, because this HDD surpasses the WD in both price and performance !


Please comment !

2 comments: